[time-nuts] crystal oscillators & TPLL

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 04:40:30 UTC 2010

On 25 June 2010 01:44, chris at yipyap.com <chris at yipyap.com> wrote:
> Steve Rooke wrote:
>> I think the reluctance to publish at
>> component level is the concern that it will be set upon by a bunch of
>> rabid dogs each saying pointing out "errors" in the design or
>> suggestions of how it could be done much better.
>
> A guy has to decide who his audience is.
>
> If you are trying to satisfy those who are eeking out the
> very last drop of performance than nothing you publish
> will ever be good enough, by definition.

There are a number of people on this list who are unfortunately like
this and I'm sure they would even pick holes in a $30k instrument
given the opportunity. No one publishes a $10 design and suggests that
it is all things to all men.

> If you are aiming to help clueless newbies like me, then
> a schematic and component info is a must.

Yes, I agree with what you say and really wish we could move forward
with this. The only thing that is preventing this happening is the
expected reaction that will occur when/if that information is ever
released. Unfortunately the concept of constructive criticism is an
anathema to some members of this list and this is the blockage. Maybe
we need another group called time-amateur-nuts for the sort of people
like thee and me where this sort of situation would not be a problem.

> Since the former group cannot be impressed or avoided but
> the latter group can be assisted...  I encourage Warren
> to hold his nose and jump in.

Perhaps more like yourself would express the same sentiment publicly
here, that may be the encouragement that Warren needs to take that
plunge. So please speak up and add your support to Warren. Thank you.

Steve
--
Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.