[time-nuts] Is quartz crystal aging really a logarithmic curve?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jun 26 04:14:27 UTC 2010

> I am thinking about trying to measure the aging process over the coming
> months, and then try to model and even predict future aging.  If I can get
> that to work, perhaps I can even incorporate the formula for predicted aging
> right into my software.  Any insights on this would be much appreciated.

Please collect some data and tell us what you find.

I think what you see will depend on what sort of crystal you have.  Good
crystals will have very low aging and it will be hard to predict.
Inexpensive crystals will have lots of aging that should be easier to measure.

A couple of years ago, Rock Karlquist pointed out that the good crystals have
stamped out all the long term aging mechanisms leaving you with noise.
http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2007-October/027648.html