[time-nuts] yet another GPSDO design, or so

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Jun 30 01:35:54 UTC 2010

Hi

Ok, here's a BOM:

TI DAC8581	$1.85 each, two for 3.70
Linear LTC 2493 $2.95
TI LM4040C50	$0.36
Freescale MCF52254AF80 $4.38
Quad Op-amp	$1.00
Misc resistors and caps $3.00
Other semi's 	$2.00

Total $17.39 at moderate volume prices. Depending on your shopping approach likely less than $20 how ever you do it.

That gives you a CPU that's massive overkill (USB, Ethernet, 512K flash, 64K ram ...), a 4 channel ADC, a not so great reference, and dual 16 bit DAC's with pretty good performance. Spend a weekend writing code. Lay out a board the next weekend. fab it up and let it self train.  Once you are done, you have a ~24 bit DAC with a 1 ppm or so INL. The linearity of your EFC is nowhere near 1 ppm, so INL isn't the measure you need to worry a lot about.

Bob