[time-nuts] Rock, gas, and air

James R Miller james at jrmiller.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 15:13:05 UTC 2010

On 1 Mar it was written:

> Rock I take to be crystal. How about gas and air?

Which, improbably, brings us back to a thread of January 11th where
JDB wrote:

   -- RFC 1925, "Fundamental Truths of Networking"

which prompted Jerry S. to rejoin:

  The actual quote is:

  Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but
  when there is nothing left to take away.
  Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  French writer (1900 - 1944)

The original quotation, from the book "Terre des hommes", is:

  Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien à
  ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher.

The English edition (ISBN 0-15-697090-2 page 46) of the book has the awkward:

  In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no
  longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away,
  when a body has been stripped down to its nakedness.

And the English edition is entitled "Wind, Sand and Stars"  ...  not quite
rock, gas and air, but close  '-%

[If anybody wants mine (f.o.c), drop me your address].