[time-nuts] Vremya-ch Hydrogen Masers

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Tue Mar 2 23:30:37 UTC 2010

time-nuts-bounces at febo.com wrote on 03/02/2010 04:51:15 PM:

> "Bob Camp" <lists at rtty.us>

> "'Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement'" <time-
> nuts at febo.com>

> 03/02/2010 04:55 PM

> Re: [time-nuts] Vremya-ch Hydrogen Masers
>
> Sent by:
>
> time-nuts-bounces at febo.com
>
> Hi
>
> Without doing a lot of digging, I doubt we'll find out just what they
did
> (or didn't) find and fix. They certainly started with a "from scratch"
> design. They may have multiple points of departure from the US approach.
>
> Then again, it may just be a better brand of coating they spray on the
> boards.

It does not take much moisture absorption in printed circuit boards and
conformal coats to cause significant variation in electrical delay with
variation in humidity, given that the dielectric constant of water is
about 80.  The solution may be no more complex than use of only
low-absorption materials surrounded by hermetic metal enclosures also
containing a cloth bag of moisture absorbing chemical granules.

Joe