[time-nuts] My DIY frequency counter and a request for help

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 4 08:52:39 UTC 2010

Gerard,

Gerard PG5G wrote:
> I have had a few replies, both on list and off list, including some
> offers for help and some suggestions regarding the capabilities of my
> counter. Thanks to everyone who took the time to write.
>
> I understand from various replies I had that I cannot measure ADEV the
> way I thought I could. I am an electronics man, not a mathematician (or
> should that be mathemagician?). Adding the ADEV was an afterthought and
> I'll leave the development of that for now.

Just to follow up on the Pendulum presentation, here is a paper from
Staffan Johansson detailing both frequency and ADEV calculations, and as
I understand the paper they do the ADEV properly and not based on the
linear regression estimated frequency values.

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/ptti2005/paper67.pdf

This also fits my memory correct from previous discussions.

Just so that nobody incorrectly believes that they do their ADEV on the
wrong values, but it was just an issue of misunderstanding the presentation.

Cheers,
Magnus