[time-nuts] nubie querie

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Mar 5 14:39:08 UTC 2010

Don Collie jnr wrote:
> I`m not sure that questions like these is welcome on this list, but here goes anyway :
>
> 1/ What are the the 10 sources of the most constant [invariant] frequencies known to man, in order of decreacing constancy? Four immediately come to mind.

I vaguely remember reading that pulsars have some fantastic
stability like 1E-20.  I don't remember how they established
this.

> 2/ What is the mechanism in an oscillator, that is responsible for phase noise? [In only one sentence please]

Thermal (Johnson) noise in the resonator and thermal and shot noise in
the active device.

> If this is known, then it becomes easier to design low phase noise oscillators.

Perhaps, but just knowing the mechanism doesn't tell you that the
phase noise is inversely proportional to loaded Q, which you would
also need to know to optimize phase noise.