[time-nuts] Nubie querie...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Fri Mar 5 17:08:18 UTC 2010

Thought from an interloper:

It would seem to me that the best reference point would be the
instant a piece of sand leaves a specific point from the "restricted
center", the "spout". In pondering over the methodology it would
appear that the first piece of sand would hit the bottom of the
vessel while the last piece would land somewhat higher on the pile,
thus the transit time is shorter.  What about the size,shape and
weight of each grain?  What about dispersion of the angle leaving the
spout due to more than one grain at a time leaving?

Gotta love this group!

Burt, K6OQK

At 08:12 AM 3/5/2010, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote
>From: "Stan, W1LE" <stanw1le at verizon.net>
>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] nubie querie
>

>If the time duration of the sand timer is defined as when the first
>grain of sand lands
>on the bottom, until the last grain of sand lands on the pile of sand on
>the bottom,
>maybe an optical circuit may sense the passing and interruption with a
>light beam.
>
>Possibly the optical sensor mounted in the restricted center could sense
>the
>first grain starting to pass and when the last grain has passed.
>
>That my change the definition, but it should be repeatable.
>
>The acoustic approach has merit. I could then apply some DSP and more
>test equipment.
>Much easier than listening to the grass grow.
>I personally like definitive starts and stops, to stay within my
>attention span.
>
>Stan, W1LE

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services