[time-nuts] 5370A vs 5370B

Demian Martin demianm_1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 00:28:23 UTC 2010

I got an almost perfect 5370A some years ago for less than $100. It had one
dead input. I discovered that those input devices were essentially
unobtanium so I went shopping for a substitute. I found a Maxim chip that
seems to work as well as the original comparator, possibly slightly better.
I also found that the input was not very easy to work with. However the time
interval probes HP 5363a or b (pretty easily available) address the input
flexibility issues very well and seem to talk to the inputs better than I
can directly. Its output seems to be an ecl signal.

Is there anything a 5370B can do that the A version can't? It seems the
major upgrade is the processor, the timer circuits seem essentially the
same. In fact this suggests some enterprising time nut could design a new
processor taking advantage of much faster and cheaper new processor chips to
improve the throughput considerably and could sell the upgrade to all of us
with 5370's. I would not be surprised if a PIC could do the task. . .
         Demian