[time-nuts] nubie querie

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 11 04:28:31 UTC 2010

Hal Murray wrote:
>> This, and similar impressive accomplishments, has prompted some
>> lunchtime discussion at work (JPL).. One of us (N5BF) has been
>> contemplating what it would take to do an amateur EarthVenusEarth
>> (after some of his experiments doing EME with 5 watts)..
>
> Perhaps a better question is:  What is the bandwidth?
>
> What sort of signal do I have to receive in order to claim contact?  Is one
> bit/blob of energy at the right time/frequency good enough, or do I have to
> demodulate the signal and extract a few bits of data?
>

>> So, when talking about "amateur" accomplishments.. where do you draw
>> the line on using "big stuff".  If you're an amateur who happens to
>> have access to Arecibo or to a DSN 70m dish, is that *really* an
>> amateur contact/event?
>
> I think the traditional test for an amateur is do you get paid for it.  (Yes,
> it helps to be independently wealthy.)

Well, that's sort of the 18th/19th century model, certainly.  Lavoisier
wasn't paid to figure chemistry out. Neither did John Strutt, 3rd Baron
Rayleigh.  But is that an appropriate model for today?

> Even if you build your own antenna, there is the question of where do you
> start.  Is it OK to buy a dish if I build the mount?  Can I buy steel pipe or
> do I have to start from iron ore?

I've always wanted to start with smelting, but my wife says "no cupola
furnace in the backyard"  (this after I was pointing out the books on
this in the Lindsay Books catalog).

> I suspect if you look at other amateur activities (say sports), there are
> examples equivalent to scrounging time on Arecibo.

Sure.. and the sponging off others has historical precedent, for
DXpeditions and 8000 meter peak attempts alike.