[time-nuts] Self-contained divider board/design available?

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Fri Mar 12 23:51:47 UTC 2010

At 02:37 PM 3/12/2010, Bert, VE2ZAZ wrote...
>I warn you, this is a topic that has been discussed before...

Just thought I'd mention this, since I haven't seen it here before.

The HP 5328a counter has a function where it can act as a (1:10-1:10e7)
decade divider. It's in the documentation, but not obvious. One nice
thing is that the input is subject to the level and slope controls,
which are much more capable than what's found on a simple divider, so
you can work with a wider range of input signals.

HP: "START A, STOP. Sets the counter to totalize the number of events
at the A input until STOP is selected, for N=l on the RESOLUTION
switch. For N>l, the number of counts divided by N is totalized. The
scaled output (i.e., frequency of A/N) is available at the Time Base
Out rear panel connector."

You can often find them for <$100 on eBay, shipping included.

Someone with better equipment than I could probably characterize the
jitter, etc.