[time-nuts] Thunderbolt antenna?

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Sat Mar 13 03:26:46 UTC 2010

Mark wrote:

>It doesn't get any better than Ebay item 270262189976...  I've
>tested a couple dozen antennas and nothing comes close to what it
>does...   It's big.  It's pricey (but FAR less than the $2000+
>original cost).  It's good.

On Mark's advice, I got one of these a few months ago.  It will
acquire satellites from its current indoor position, which my other
antennas (Garmin marine antenna, Lucent timing antenna) will not
do.  (I'll move it outdoors when nice weather arrives for real.)  It
also gives a tighter pattern in the LH 3b 48-hour survey.

At 26 dB, the gain of the LNA may be a little low for a TBolt if
you're going to use a long run of coax, but the design and
construction of the amp is much better than the ones in the
quadrafilar and patch antennas I've opened.  I'm in a severe VHF/UHF
environment, and the AeroAntenna seems to cope better than
run-of-the-mill marine and timing antennas.

Best regards,

Charles