[time-nuts] 5370A vs 5370B

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Mar 13 21:09:02 UTC 2010

Hi

Ok, I got enough time to play a bit more with the 5370B today. Here's what I found (all running on the internal standard):

If I take the gate time out to 1 second, the frequency display reads as it should.

If I look at the standard deviation on various samples of period I get some interesting data:

With the instrument cold,  I get some amazingly low (like 4 ps) standard deviations on 10K and 100K sample sets.

With it cold I get 15-30 ps on 100 and 1K sample sets.

Once things heat up I get numbers in the 20-30 ps for all sample sets.

I'm guessing that means that nothing's major broke, but I still might find regulator that needs replacement.

Bob