[time-nuts] Choke Ring Design for L1

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Mar 14 04:07:09 UTC 2010

WarrenS wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:
> <ws response
>
>> Only for your particular location and antenna.
> <True, My location is under the sky indoors or outdoors, and I used
> severl cheap car type antennas and a pole mounted timing antenna.
> May not work as well in other locations or with other types of
> antennas. (Like under the water or with choke antennas)
>
>> You have no actual idea of how the antenna response is affected by
>> the presence of the cake tin,
> <Sure I do, You have not been keeping up with the latest Lady Heather
> updates, Take a look at her new antenna plot capability.

Those plots give little information about the antenna response to
variations in SV elevation directly as the signal strength from the SV
also varies with elevation.
>> nor did you specify what sort of antenna you are using with it.
> <Yes I did give a recommendation in the beginning for a timing antenna,
> but I get the same kind of effect on all "car" type also.
> (which is no surprise case they are made to be mounted on a metal body.)

The latter are all patch antennas which don't work at all well without a
ground plane (either an external one or a built in one).
Even the thickness of the ground plane makes a difference to the antenna
response:

http://www.emtalk.com/tut_1.htm

http://www.orbanmicrowave.com/The_Basics_Of_Patch_Antennas.pdf

http://www.specemc.com/patch.asp

http://piers.mit.edu/piersproceedings/download.php?file=cGllcnMyMDA5bW9zY293fDVQNV8xOTI2LnBkZnwwOTAzMTQwODAxMzA=

http://ctvr.ie/docs/RF%20Pubs/IEEEVTC_2007_Investigation%20on%20Miniature%20Wideband%20Patch%20Antenna%20.pdf

http://140.117.166.1/eehome/ISCOM2005/SubmitPaper/UploadPapers/ISCON05_00100.pdf

>> A patch antenna at the bottom of a cake tin may not have much gain
>> over the elevation range of interest.
> <What I can say, It works good, and it is not likely it is the antenna
> gain, cause by making a directly antenna out of it,
> cause I get some of the same effects with the pie pan turned the other
> way.
>
>> Your explanation of why this appears to work well is still nonsense.
> <That is because I did not give one yet.  MY guess is that it is
> blocking out multipath reflections of which I have many, and these
> reflections tend to case dips in the signal level due to cancellations
> as the sat moves across the sky. Also adds some gain to some antennas.
>
>> The variation in antenna response with elevation needs to be
>> measured/calculated before one can safely conclude that such an antenna
> is universally useful.
> <READ answer AGAIN> That is exactly what I did with the new Lady
> Heather, You may want to try it for yourself before your unfounded
> criticizing or look at the attached.

No you didnt, no account is taken of the SV signal variation with elevation.