[time-nuts] Choke Ring Pictures

Brian Kirby kilodelta4foxmike at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 21:09:38 UTC 2010

Dr. Clark passed on a tip that I used.  Put the funnel in a microwave
oven and run it and see if the funnel warms up.  If it warms up, you do
not use it.  I do not know what type of plastic the funnel was made out
of; it was white, semi-transparent.

There were also comments about surveying and timing antennas.  If you
investigate about every national timing laboratory uses choke ring
antennas.  Some enclose the antenna unit and they temperature control
it.  They do this for timing stability reasons.

The commercial timing antenna is bullet shaped and is operated without a
ground plane.  They are patch antennas.  When there is not ground plane,
the antenna picks up best from the overhead and less towards the
horizon.  These antennas usually have a lot more gain (30-50 db vs most
normal antennas in the 15-25 db range).

Also in surveying, we cut off the horizon at 15 degrees in software.  A
free Army Corp of Engineering manual on GPS Surveying is at
http://140.194.76.129/publications/eng-manuals/em1110-1-1003/toc.htm

The main difference in surveying and timing is in surveying they use the
carrier phase method, were in timing most use a solution derived from
the processing of the coarse acquisition code, in were the receiver is
in a fixed over-determined position .  Some timing labs are using
carrier phase method, when they need more resolution.

Brian - KD4FM