[time-nuts] HP 5065A rubidium lifetime

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sat Mar 20 12:34:53 UTC 2010

I can't say for certain.

The heating element is a single layer of formvar coated
nichrome wire.... about #36 gage.  To avoid magnetic fields,
they wound it bifilar, and shorted the far end of the bifilar
wires... forming a "hairpin" loop.

I found a short about 1 inch into the 5 inch winding, and the
oven driver transistor was open circuited.  The 1 inch that
wasn't shorted was surrounding the area of the lamp assembly.

I recall that the oven fuse was ok.

-Chuck Harris