[time-nuts] HP 5065A rubidium lifetime

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sun Mar 21 13:12:27 UTC 2010

Thanks.

That is just the type of information I was looking for.

I have some pictures of my 'melted' unit with the covers off the end of the
cell end if anyone is interested.  It is pretty messy after the meltdown.
There are at least three metal cylinders for sure, an outer one then foam
between it and the next one, then foam between the second and third one then
foam inside that between the inner cylinder and the aluminum cylinder that
is the rubidium lamp assembly.

When I started trying to disassemble the unit, I could not get the aluminum
cover of the lamp assembly to turn loose.  I replaced the three 2-56 screws
that hold the cover in place with longer ones then used a 1/2 inch thick
aluminum disc with a center hole placed over the center bolt of the lamp
assembly, resting on the long screws.  I used one of the nuts and 'torqued'
it to 'pull' the cover off the lamp assembly cylinder but to no avail.
However, after the melt down, with everything 'hot', it came off relatively
easily.  This is what makes me think it had had a prior 'meltdown' and the
'goo' had dried as an incredibly strong glue.

Although mine was destroyed, it did not appear to have a 'twisted pair' type
winding but rather a single layer.  I had missed that it was a 'parallel
pair'.

Thanks,

Joe