[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitters

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 21:34:27 UTC 2010

Dan Rae-"When I only had two gps units in the dim and distant past, I
used a passive splitter made from a Minicircuits (MCL) ZAPD-2 unit bought
at the swap meet for $1, with a 100 pF series blocking cap in one of the
output ports.  If the receiver connected to the other port complains,
you can add some resistance to ground to fool it."

While a resistive splitter with one capacitively coupled output will
work fine, You can insert a simple "T" in series with the GPS that
will supply the power and the antenna. Then feed the other leg of the
"T" through a capacitor (with a 220-330 ohm resistor to ground) to the
second receiver-amounts to about the same thing as the splitter. Almost
any value capacitor around 47-100pf should work. This will at least
let you run both GPSDOs until you can find a better splitter/amp at a
reasonable price.