[time-nuts] What time is it anyway?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Mar 27 15:11:27 UTC 2010

Hi

Traditionally USNO is the keeper of "legal time". NIST is the keeper of "legal frequency". Because of the earlier reference  to "solar time", they actually kept a regular schedule of observations of the sun going in Washington. They were running them  at least into the 1990's. If I remember correctly, the telescope they used dated to around 1880.

I would bet that if you went deep enough into the details, that the Army at some point was less than enthusiastic about having to ask the Navy when ever they wanted to know what time it was.

Bob