[time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 better

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 27 16:42:57 UTC 2010

Peter Vince wrote:
> Warren,
>
>      If you turn over an oscillator, is the frequency change
> completely reversible (to your "under 1e-12 resolution") when it is
> restored?  Thinking aloud, if an hour-glass is turned over twice, the
> final level will be the same, but the grains will be mixed.  A quartz
> crystal, however, is solid, so hopefully nothing actually moves.
> Presumably the zero-G axis is with the axis of oscillation at 90
> degrees to gravity?
>
>      Peter (the "other" one :-)
Well... depends on what effect you wants to cancel out. If you worry
about earth-quakes or other vibration, then is it more likely to be
shaken sideways or up-down? Is the gravity likely to change alot?

Letting the gravity has full effect on the crystal would allow for
minimum sensitivity to sideways movements.

A vector accelerometer and vector calibration such that a matrix of
correction parameters is crunched out could work to reduce sensitivity.
However, I would just prefer to make the environment stable.

Cheers,
Magnus