[time-nuts] TBolt: UTC PPS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Mar 29 22:02:05 UTC 2010

tvb at LeapSecond.com said:
> The words "insert a pulse" is what causes the confusion in conjunction with
> leap seconds. There is no extra or missing pulse; no double pulse, no early
> or delayed pulse.

> The 1PPS output continues to give a pulse at a 1 Hz rate regardless if there
> is leap second or not. There is never any ambiguity with TAI or UTC with
> respect to the pulses themselves.

Right.

I was commenting about the sub-thread that was expecting an extra pulse so a
mechanical clock would stay in sync over a leap second event.

Since what's needed is removing a pulse (to allow for the leap second),
rather than inserting a pulse, I still like the idea of poking a finger on
the right place in the clock to gum up the works for one tick.