[time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 better

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Mar 31 00:18:05 UTC 2010

The problem you described was more of an issue in the 5061.
Len Cutler was extremely relieved that the 5071 didn't have to
have an analog integrator.

In the 10811, the biggest problem is that the capacitor is
barely large enough for loop stability purposes.  That prevents
you from increasing the gain regardless of how many megohms
you can achieve.  The last time I checked, you still could not
get a larger capacitor value that would physically fit in the space in
the 10811.  Everything in the 10811 is max'ed out, per
discussions with the designers, who recently retired.

It is also worth noting that you can get a thermal gain of over
1000 by optimizing the power sharing between the resistors.
This experiment is done with the oscillator in B mode so the
crystal is a thermometer.  Unfortunately, this thermal gain
maximization does not optimize the 10811 tempco because it
ignores the tempco of the electronics.  You have to make the
oven tempco cancel out the electronics tempco.  This cannot happen at
a turnover of course, which leads to another discussion.  A large
fraction of 10811 crystals do not have a turnover, only a
region of very low tempco.  Thus the discussion about getting
right on the turnover point is moot.

In the E1938A, we had crystals that definitely had turnovers,
and set each one at a turnover.  What a nightmare in production.
The 10811 paradigm looked really good by comparison.

You can now see how complicated it gets if you fool around with
a 10811.

Rick Karlquist N6RK