[time-nuts] Low cost 6+ GHz Prescaler

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Mar 31 02:26:26 UTC 2010

Samuel DEMEULEMEESTER wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> My goal is not to design a killer prescaler useable for all applications,
> but just to get the same specs than the original HP/Agilent prescaler board,
> and why not a bit better. The original HP board is a very basic design :
> 4-stage of MMIC and a good-old MB510 prescaler. Nothing more. With moderns
> parts, I was able to get higher performances for a cheaper (10x cheaper)
> price. My design is already working as expected but I want to add some
> features for ppl who what to use the board as a "generic" prescaler. In any
> case, that's still a prescaler board designed for a counter.

The point is that I was the designer of the prescaler board with the
MB510, and it isn't a very good prescaler.  The specs don't reveal the
problem with noisy sources.  The MB510 was something like $2, so I am
not sure what you are referring to in terms of 10x cheaper.  It is
not clear that "modern" parts are any better.  At the time of the 5334B,
well over 20 years ago, 10 GHz prescalers were already available.

Rick Karlquist N6RK