[time-nuts] oscillator choice question

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun May 2 00:23:22 UTC 2010

Hi

A lot depends on what sort of result you are looking for.

If a simple calibration of the standard in your counter to +/- 1 ppb  is your goal, then a reasonable oscilloscope and some patience will get the job done with what you already have.

If continuos lock to GPS at a 10X or 100X tighter level is the goal, it's tough to beat a Thunderbolt at around $100.

Most modern gear is looking for a 10 MHz standard input. It's easier to start with 10 and divide for the item that wants 0.1, 1, or 5 MHz than to multiply up from something lower. I would limit my shopping list to OCXO's that already put out 10 MHz and have a voltage control input. There are usually a bunch of them being auctioned in the $50 range. If your accuracy requirement's aren't to tight, you can indeed use a TCXO. If you wait long enough, you probably can score a 10 MHz rubidium for $70 - they make fine GPSDO's ....

Regardless of the oscillator used, you will still need some sort of electronics in-between the Res-T and the oscillator. The complexity is up to you. A lot of what you are doing is the same weather you are running a TCXO or a Rb.

It all depends on you needs and your budget.

Bob