[time-nuts] oscillator choice question

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun May 2 20:23:03 UTC 2010

Hi

Microwave radio suggests low spurs and often low phase noise. That's on top of the stability requirements.

In terms of stability a good Z3801 will run rings around a garden variety Thunderbolt. Both are significantly better on phase noise than a "garden variety" OCXO. You will need a *very* good OCXO to get to the performance level of either one. The 10811 is probably the easiest thing to both identify and find. You see them selling anywhere from $100 to $200 depending on just how patient you are.

Bob