[time-nuts] Dual Mixer

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 06:42:32 UTC 2010

Bruce

Good, It does seem like we are finally making some good progress.
You now seem to acknowledge that my tester could work if I integrate.
You now seem to acknowledge that I am integrating by using a filter.
I acknowledge that my integration method is not perfect, BUT it is simple
and good enough.
It would seem the only issue left is to show you just how good of answers my
integration method gives.
At least now we are JUST talking about what the S/W needs to do.
Hopefully you now see that the hardware is adequate.
What would you consider an acceptable error band, 3 dB, 1 dB, 0.1 dB?  Pick
a number >> zero.

For a typical high speed data log taken at say 1 K samples per second, one
would generally run a quick test with maybe a minute's worth of data.
That would provide enough data to give a good tau plot up to about 10
seconds.
Now if you can supply me with a 60K data log with any type of reasonably
typical noise that you want to include in it
I'll show you how close my approximate Integration comes to your perfect
integration.

I can set this up to do as many times as you want, until I have demonstrated
by example that it is close enough,
for every data log case that you will provide. Near enough IS good enough
for me and most Nuts.
As John pointed out, this is measuring noise. One is not going to get the
exact same answer twice in a row anyway.
My answer will not be perfect, but it will be simple and fast and easy and
below the noise uncertainty band.
Your turn to put a data log where your math is.  Do try and remember I'm
working with Frequency and not phase.

BTW. just a heads-up warning to be fair. I have set up this situation so
that I can not loose.
If you want to setup your own situation go for it. I'll see if I can do it.
Only requirement is that it should be broken down into no more than 60K
sample sizes max for each test at the start.
After I pass that,  if you want to go for millions of samples or whatever,
fine as long as I can read the text data log file.

ws