[time-nuts] NTS-100 scored

Russell Rezaian rrezaian at motorola.com
Wed May 19 17:14:04 UTC 2010

At 10:38 PM -0400 2010/05/18, Stan, W1LE wrote:
>A quick review of the manual shows a GPS antenna downconverter,
>external device.
>So, it may take more than a GPS antenna/RF preamplifier, like I use
>with my Trimble.
>
>Hopefully you will get the down converter  also.

Not all GPS NTS-100 units need the down converters.  The need for
that depends on the specific GPS module used in the receiver.

The TrueTime boxes  I have seen all have a very clear label on the
back of the unit if the down converter is required.

If you don't have a label, then you probably don't need the
down-converter, and any normal GPS antenna can work.  Be careful as
some of the systems provide 5 VDC to the antenna, and some provide 12
VDC.  If you don't have the OEM antenna (a version of the AT 575) be
careful of the DC provided from the receiver so you don't overload
any pre-amp you might happen to have.

I am not sure who made the down-converter for TrueTime.  I have seen
these TrueTime systems with standalone down converters, and also down
converters integrated into an antenna.  Personally I have only used
the integrated antenna/converter units and the ones I have are sealed
with no obvious manufacturer info...
--
Russell