[time-nuts] (no subject)

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Sat May 22 03:00:43 UTC 2010

Sorry about the empty post -- hit the send key by accident.

Ulrich's free Z38XX program works great as a monitor for the Z3805. He
added some stuff to specifically support differences from a Z3801. The
Z3801 programs can be used but can't support the extra satellites the
3805 can track.

Available here: http://www.ulrich-bangert.de/html/downloads.html

The lower 25-pin connector is the serial port you want to connect your
PC to. Someone mentioned 488; I think that is only on Z3801's. My Z3805
has a serial interface on the lower 25-pin connector.

You do know that you need an external active GPS antenna, I hope? You
never mentioned that you had connected one.

It takes a long time to lock the first time in a new location because it
has to do a survey first. You can make it go a bit quicker if you use
the monitor program to set your latitude an longitude close first. The
box should eventually lock without a PC monitoring, but you will, no
doubt, feel much better if you can see the satellites it is tracking and
any status messages as it goes through the process.

The monitor commands are very similar to the Z3801. You should be able
to find some Z3801 user documentation and command reference docs on the net.

Hope that helps a bit.

-Rex