[time-nuts] Z3805 utility, Was: AW: (no subject)

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat May 22 22:21:17 UTC 2010

Bill, I think you got it backwards. +/- 12V is typical for RS-232, 0/+5V is
for RS-422 and RS-485.

No RS-232 receiver should be damaged with +/- 12V or even +/- 15V because
that is their normal operating voltage.

Also, RS-422 and RS-485 have something like 25V common mode tolerance (not
sure what the actual spec is there,) so that the RS-422 and RS-485 receivers
should not be damaged by 15V either. The RS-422 drivers are pretty low
impedance, while the RS-232 drivers are current limited, so I don't think
that connecting an RS-232 driver into an RS-422 driver will damage either.

However, most recent (<10 years?) RS-232 receivers will work with a 0/+3V or
0/+5V input, conveniently having a threshold a few 10's or 100's of mV above
ground, even though the original RS-232 spec required receivers that work
with as low as +/- 3V, and drivers that deliver +/- 9V minimum. Many
commercial systems use +/- 5V drivers for RS-232 (B&B Electronics sells a
lot of converters with these voltages). This is a deliciously sloppy spec
that nobody has met in the last 25 years probably, yet works most of the
time.

The one thing to avoid is to short an RS-422 (or RS-485) driver to ground,
as that can actually cause damage, maybe not every time, but definitely not
recommended. These have relatively high current output capability to drive
long lines.

Didier KO4BB