[time-nuts] Z3805 utility, Was: AW: (no subject)

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Sun May 23 10:29:52 UTC 2010

Bob,

even without a computer connected the beast should do SOMETHING. In
conjunction with a pc and a running communication it is easier to judge WHAT
it currently does.

To establish communication first find out what pinning the RS232 connector
has: with the negative cable (black) of a voltmeter connected to Pin 7 of
the RS232 connector check pins 2 & 3 with the positive cable (red) for the
presence of a NEGATIVE voltage of a few Volts. If you can measure a negative
voltage on one of the pins, you have successfully identified the Z3805's
TRANSMIT pin. The other pin of 2/3 is the receive pin.

Then solder a cable in this way

Z3805 Transmit pin  -> Pin 2 of pc RS232 port (9 pole D-Sub assumed)
Z3805 Receive pin   -> Pin 3 of pc RS232 port (9 pole D-Sub assumed)
Z3805 Ground (7)    -> Pin 5 of pc RS232 port (9 pole D-Sub assumed)

Should you have a 25 pin connector for RS232 at your pc then the cable is

Z3805 Transmit pin  -> Pin 3 of pc RS232 port
Z3805 Receive pin   -> Pin 2 of pc RS232 port
Z3805 Ground (7)    -> Pin 7 of pc RS232 port

No other connection is needed. With a cable like this start Z38XX and check
that you that you choose the correct Com-Port for communication in the
Parameters window. And yes, I know, being an owner of a Z3805 I should know
exactly but I don't remember the day that I made the cable and I currently
cannot access the back of my Z3805.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert