[time-nuts] Z3805 utility, Was: AW: (no subject)

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Sun May 23 11:24:48 UTC 2010

Bob,

I can't say for sure if the Z3805a will automatically initialize itself
from a power-on with no monitor on the serial port, but I think it
should. I got mine from China over a year ago and I don't recall telling
it to do a survey, but maybe I did. One thing that has been mentioned
here is that it could take many hours to initialize the first time and
lock.

But even if you CAN run it without a monitor and sending it commands, I
think you should try to figure out what is up with the serial port,
because it will make things so much easier than shooting in the dark. If
your serial interface is really not working, that indicates something is
very wrong with your unit even if it does lock to GPS eventually. If you
are going to be a certifiable time nut, you will definitely want the
ability to see what is going on inside the box.

I have both a Z3805a and a Z3816a. They have both been running for a
long time and I don't plan to power cycle them just to remember how the
initialization process works. Many people have a PC monitoring the
serial port all the time and tracking the EFC, holdover, etc. I only
connect to the monitor port occasionally, but I know the serial port on
both do work (or at least have worked) when needed or desired.

I did a little experimenting and memory refreshing tonight. Maybe
something in this description will help.

First, I know my Z3805A came with the bottom 25-pin connector supporting
RS232. As far as I know, that is all it can do, unlike the Z3801 which
can be configured as either RS232 or 422. I am not absolutely sure about
that on the Z3805, but I think so.

Here is how I make the connection between the Z3805a and the PC. -- I
have a DB25 to DB9 adapter plugged into the bottom DB25 on the box. Into
that adapter I plug a standard DB9 serial cable. At the other end of the
DB9 cable I have a 3-wire 'null modem' adapter I made. [It has a ground
wire between pins-5 of the two connectors and it has pins 2 and 3
crossed-over between the two connectors. No other signals besides tx, rx
and ground, but with the tx/rx crossed.] Then that adapter plugs into a
serial port that is actually a serial DB9 to USB dongle.

Much of this chain could be replaced by making your own 3-wire DB25 to 9
cable that connects the ground pins and crosses tx and rx. I think that
is pins 2, 3 and 7 on the db25 and 3, 2, and 5 on the db9, but I'm not
going to take the time now to check.

I'm running XP on the PC. I checked in the Hardware Manager to make sure
what COM port the serial dongle is mapped to. You need to know the COM
port to configure a terminal emulator program or any of the monitor
programs like Z38XX, GPSCon or SatStat.

The Z3805 serial port defaults to 9600 8 N 1 but I proved tonight that
all of these serial parameters are configurable, so it is possible that
your box has the port configured to something other than 9600 8 N 1. If
you have a serial terminal monitor program that you are familiar with,
I'd start with that. The windows-supplied Hyperterminal will work but
it's a bit odd to configure. To use it, as it starts give the
configuration a name like 9600. On the Connect To window on the 'Connect
using' field use the drop-down to select COM1 (or whatever COM port
connects to the Z3805) Then you will get a window that allows
configuring the baud, etc. You should set flow control to 'none'. When
the empty terminal window displays, anything you type should be sent.

If you just hit Return to send a CR to the Z3805, the Z3805 should reply
with a prompt of either 'scpi >' or 'E-nnn>'. If it does, you are
communicating. If not, try a different COM parameter configuration.

You could also just try the Z38XX program. If it is communicating, you
should see some ID info in the lower-right corner of the window (status
bar) that has Z3805A in it. You could also select 'Debug Window' from
the top menu to see what is being sent/received on the serial interface.
To configure the serial port parameters, select Parameters from the
top-left of the menu bar.  If 9600 baud doesn't work, I'd try at least
1200 and 19200 baud. I doubt very much that someone would have
configured the Z3805A port with other than 8 N 1 ( 8 data bits, no
parity, one stop bit).

Hopefully there is something in this write-up that will get the serial
interface sorted out for you. The other suggestions you have received
about monitoring signal levels on the RS232 could help too, but the
Z3805 doesn't send stuff out by default -- it replies to commands sent
to it, so getting it to reply with anything if the port parameters don't
match could be problematic.

If you do get some serial communication happening, you may then need
more guidance on commands or interpreting what you see, but we can save
that for later.

I have never seen any documentation specific to either the Z3816A or the
Z3805A, but there are some docs for the Z3801A and the 58503B that are
close enough to guess most of what is needed. If you haven't found them
yet, I could try to search where I found what I have used.

-Rex