[time-nuts] Z3805 utility, Was: AW: (no subject)

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 14:17:51 UTC 2010

On 25 May 2010 00:54, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Bob Camp wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Gotta label them *something* or sorting through them in the cable bin
>> becomes pretty difficult.
>> In addition to the wiring options you can (obviously) have either a male
>> or female on either end. There are so many "odd" pieces of gear out there
>> that you can have pretty much any combination.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> A while ago, I standardized on ALL straight through cables, M to F, and made
> "null modem" adapters.  So, now the bin has F:F and M:M widgets and F to F
> null modems in various flavors. I think I also still have a bunch of MFMF
> short cables made from ribbon cable and insulation displacing connectors (a
> sort of universal adapter).
>
> Anyway, the key was having "null modem adapters" that are clearly identified
> as such, and everything else straight through.

Sounds like a very sensible idea to me. Just make sure your gender
benders (gender changers) are easily identifiable from null-modems. I
have a lot of RS components little double ended back-shells that allow
you to put either gender DSUB on each side and you can wire up any
form of connection you like, including just a simple gender changer.
They work fine but I invariably recover them later on and when I need,
say, a gender changer I frequently used to pick up what I thought was
one and end up with a null-modem. Wish I had the discipline to not
rush ahead and just label the things :)

Steve

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
A man with one clock knows what time it is;
A man with two clocks is never quite sure.