[time-nuts] IRIG B

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed May 26 03:50:22 UTC 2010

Magnus Danielson wrote:
> On 05/26/2010 01:09 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Like all the rest of us I'm making assumptions. I *assume* that we're
>> talking about an implementation that will handle IRIG over audio over
>> a fairly wide dynamic range.
>
> Well, like most cases, I'd assume it is over "sufficient" dynamic range.
> The signal itself doesn't require very high dynamics, 8 bit should work
> well, 12 bits should allow for less care in level settings, 24 bits is
> excessive but cheap and only real care is high amplitude/clipping.

if you've got a low speed ADC, (perhaps on the chip) that's one way to
go.  You can also do stuff like use a output pin from the micro and some
resistor/capacitor stuff to do a CVSD encoder, which you can pretty
easily turn into the level data you need to decode the IRIG.

At some point, though, the Rs and Cs cost enough (in board space and
installation cost, if nothing else) that you might as well get a ADC (or
a bigger uC that has one on chip)..