[time-nuts] IRIG B

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed May 26 13:16:49 UTC 2010

Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Strange as it seems, *stocking* the R's and C's can be an issue. There's also placement cost. Based on some of the numbers you see, the cross over point (IC to odd value R's and C's) is amazingly low. I'm not saying any of that's right, just that it's the way a lot of companies roll up the costs.
>
> Bob

Not surprising.. the cost to stock, pick, place, solder is probably the
same for a small IC and a R or C.  So, the only possible saving would be
  if the IC is a LOT more expensive than a single or two Rs or Cs.

There might be a power dissipation difference, or a temperature range
difference that would push you one way or another.