[time-nuts] Group S/N

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Mon Nov 1 06:53:24 UTC 2010

I don't post much because I usually don't have much knowledge that might
add to the discussions. I might ask a question if I thought the group
was the right place, but not much of that recently either.

A couple years back we would have long threads that were about
subtleties of the thing being discussed, which may have been excessive
but were justifiable and in context.

As a casual observer and fan of the group, I have noticed a trend where
dozens of comments get made on pretty much any topic that gets posted.
Many of these posts seem to me to be kinda stream-of-consciousness where
not much is there except a chatty kind of interaction. A bit of that is
ok in any group, but I miss the days of the high S/N of yore.

So, with the intemperance given me by some alcohol consumption (during
the Giants WS game) might I implore some of you guys who are frequent
posters in the last couple of years to consider some restraint on making
every post that might pass through your brain and just make it if it
really might add some information that isn't conjecture or chit-chat?

There's fabulous brain power here and I appreciate that, but lately I
find myself mostly deleting chaff to get to the wheat. Many times I'm
not sure if I missed something good in that slash and burn. A couple of
years ago that was less necessary, and (my opinion) I liked it better.

-Rex