[time-nuts] Soekris NET4501, NTP, PPS and "Inappropriate ioctl"

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Tue Nov 2 13:06:49 UTC 2010

At 07:59 PM 11/1/2010, mike cook wrote...
>  pps1 -> cuau1 should do it. I am running 6.2 where  pps1 -> cuad1
> works fine.

Thanks, but actually, I had all that correct. (pps0 -> elan-mmcr,
oncore.pps.0 -> cuau1, oncore.serial.0 -> cuau1). Unless you get pps
from elan-mmcr, I'm pretty sure you don't pick up the special qualities
of the high res NET4501 timer.

My error was to fat-finger a file name, the elan-mmcr driver doesn't
like it when it doesn't have an input because you saved the file as
"sysctl.con" instead of "sysctl.conf". So, for the archives,
"Inappropriate ioctl" can be caused by not having the gpio lines
properly configured.

Something else I discovered - somewhere along the line, NTP breaks with
this - with both an Oncore and an Atom (PPS) refclock, NTP always marks
the Atom as a falseticker, even if "server 127.127.22.0 true..." is
specified, and even if they're consistently ticking within a few
microseconds of each other. That happened with NTP 4.2.7p5_1. Going
back to 4.2.4p5, they work fine together, although the Oncore gets
marked as a "candidate" instead of a "peer".