[time-nuts] A real world project need for timing accuracy...

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 17:16:56 UTC 2010

Hi Jim,

This doesnt' look right to me.  I'm getting roughly 2.3 inches at 2400 feet
is 0.08 miliradians.    0.01  miliradians (1*10^-5 radians) at 2400 feet is
0.288 inches (roughly 30 caliber).  Wikipedia says that to resolve 0.01
miliradians you need:

R (in radians) = lambda / diameter (of scope)  (aka, Dawes Limit if you use
562nm light)

1 * 10^-5 radians = 562nm (green) / X

X= 5.62cm aperture or 2.2".    This is what it comes to on paper, in
practice you'd probably need something bigger because of atmospheric
effects, lens quality, and the like.

That being said, I can't see my holes at 300 yards with my Leupold scope
with an opening greater than an inch.  I can just barely make them out at
200 yards.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_resolution  - Also,
somebody please double check my math.

-Bob