[time-nuts] Why .30 cal holes can't be seen at 800 yds...

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 17:58:18 UTC 2010

Be careful about giving legal advice.  These are not legal where I live.
Making explosives in any quantity is legal at a federal level in all 50
states without any kind of license but those darn states and cities make
laws to restrict that.  Mixing tannerite turns it into a federally, state,
and locally regulated explosive which means at a very minimum the federal
laws apply.  This means no transporting it, storing it, buying it, selling
it, etc. without an ATF license (this would fall under "manufacturing" regs
which are related to commerce, not a physical act of mixing).  This means if
you mix it at home and transport to a range, you go to prison.   Mix at the
range and hold onto it over night, you go to prison.  Throw it down range,
can't find it, get caught, go to prison.

Google for the ATF "Orange Book" that covers almost anything you want to
know on the subject but it's only at the federal level.  Always check state
and local laws before toying with this stuff.  Prison doesn't sound like a
lot of fun to me.

Also, I noticed that the thread degenerated into nothing having to do with
time measurement.   I tend to restrict myself but felt I really needed to
point out that "legal" in one place doesn't make it legal everywhere all of
the time.

-Bob

(p.s. tannerite is flippin' awesome!)