[time-nuts] Greenwich time ball

Bob Marinelli bobm at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 5 00:19:07 UTC 2010

Hi Bill,

The astronomers were busy doing their noon transit sighting at noon.
They ball on Flamsteed House drops at 1:00.  The navigators on ships
in the harbor were also likely doing a sight at noon, they set their
clock at 1:00 by looking up at the observatory on the hill.  BTW, the
view from Greenwich observatory over London is quite spectacular.  The
above my recollection from a tour guide at the observatory.  Here is
the official story (including an animation of the ball dropping):

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/places/royal-observatory/time-ball/

I guess this is the time to propose that, if possible, every Time Nut
needs to visit Greenwich Observatory at least once :)

-Bob

On Nov 4, 2010, at 5:11 PM, WB6BNQ wrote:

> OK Bob,
>
> I'LL bite !  Why is it 1:00 pm for the ball ?
>
> Bill....WB6BNQ
>

> Bob Marinelli wrote:
>
>> Hi Murray,
>>
>> Actually, the ball at Greenwich drops at 1:00 pm every day.  For
>> everyone who can get to London, the observatory is well worth at
>> least
>> a half day visit, they have several working Harrison clocks and yes
>> you can set your wristwatch at 1:00 when the ball drops :) there is
>> also a wonderful transit.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> On Nov 4, 2010, at 4:30 PM, Murray Greenman wrote:
>>
>>> Navigators used chronometers to determine their longitude. If they
>>> were
>>> stopped in one place long enough, they could work out longitude by a
>>> complicated process of star and lunar observations; however, when
>>> they
>>> left an established port, they usually took with them a time
>>> standard
>>> based on local measurements of the sun and the known location of the
>>> port.
>>>
>>> These measurements used a device called a 'Transit', which was a
>>> simple
>>> telescope mounted so that it pivoted in elevation, but was fixed N-S
>>> in
>>> azimuth. Midday was marked by the time at which the sun transited
>>> the