[time-nuts] Setting clocks 100 years ago

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:04:29 UTC 2010

The variation of solar time was obvious from the time from star
observations.
Harrison used to line up a scratch on his window with a star
disappearing behind a
distant roof top to get consistent time intervals when he was
adjusting the
temperature compensation of his clocks and observing their rate.
Star time, known as sidereal time, is about 4 minutes a day different
to solar time (365.25 / 366.25)
but is free from any perturbations. So it is relatively easy to
observe the variations of solar
time by comparing solar noon with the time of transit of a star that
night. It does not need a very good clock.
The difference is called the Equation Of Time.
cheers, Neville Michie