[time-nuts] How to detect PLL lock

Roberto Barrios rbarrioss at msn.com
Mon Nov 8 12:38:11 UTC 2010

Hello,

Thank you Ignacio and all of you, specially those that replied :-)

The convergence idea is the one that I like most, simply because it required
no additional hardware. I've plotted EFC against time (seconds) in the
attached file. The bumps after the PLL was locked are caused by GPS a few
seconds after I deliberately disconnected the antenna.

I like the idea of calculating a convergence value and studying the
frequency of zero crossings to each side of it. Although with some effort I
guess I will be able to implement it, I'am not familiar with convergence
algorithms. Is there somewhere a reasonably (non-)advanced paper about it
you can point me to?

The other ideas are still very interesting and since I am doing this just as
a learning exercise, I will eventually experiment all of them.

Again, thank you. What a great list this is.

Roberto EB4EQA