[time-nuts] Frequency referenced temperature regulator

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 8 15:32:54 UTC 2010

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I'm contemplating building a small temperature control enclosure for
> testing various electronics.
>
> I have a handful of peltiers suitable for the purpose, and was
> pondering the right control mechanism.
>
> Most people would reach for a NTC, put it in a wien-brige etc etc.
>
> But since I happen to have access to much more stable frequencies
> than voltages, I thought of a different way:
>
> 1. Mount a X-tal-osc with really lousy tempco inside the enclosure.
>
> 2. Compare its output to a stable reference frequency.
>
> 3. Use the output of the phase comparator to drive the Peltier.
>
> It is basically a PLL where temperature is used as EFC...
>
> Has anybody tried that ?

I used to work at a place where we used SAW resonators as sensors for
just about everything (including temperature, pressure, force, chemical
presence), and pretty much as you describe.. output of resonator
affected by what you wanted to measure was mixed with a similar
resonator which was not, and a  microcontroller would count the
difference frequency and do what ever else was needed (run control loop,
apply cal curve, etc.)

There's also the whole MCXO scheme, where you compare the fundamental
and 3rd overtone, and measure the temperature of the crystal that way
(in order to adjust the output frequency of a DDS driven by the oscillator)