[time-nuts] ADEV

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Sat Nov 13 13:20:56 UTC 2010

I sure do agree, that with very low data rate systems it is significant. In
fact, when David Allan & Fred Walls came up with the proposal of using this
measurement as an FOM for oscillators over 30 years ago, digital
communication rates were slow, and, the measurement was a good one. Due to
the filtering process within ADEV by collecting and integrating a large
number of samples, has a filtering effect of its own. Therefore, it can, and
will, miss the fact that there may be instantaneous phase transitions that
could cause havoc with high data rates and higher order PSK modulation
schemes. So, again, I apologize, as I should have mentioned higher data
rates. However, you must admit that your application, while extremely
critical, is in the minority. I like to use the example of something like
DirecTV. Here, they use a down-converter that utilizes a free running DRO,
that is ridiculously noisy, and, varies all over in frequency, especially
over the temperature ranges it subjected to. In spite of all of that, one
gets a perfect pictures. Regards - Mike

Mike B. Feher, EOZ Inc.
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731