[time-nuts] OT loosing things

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sat Nov 13 14:47:34 UTC 2010

At 09:01 AM 11/13/2010, Chuck Harris wrote...
>How is your attempt at controlling the content of this group any
>different from Mike F's asking you to be tolerant?

First, his was a demand, not a request. Second, his was personally
directed.

Third, I made a comment, addressed to no one in particular, about the
descent of this forum into an _extended_ discussion about faeries
(amongst other crap), instead of time, which is its purpose. I didn't
call out anyone specifically, just provided a general observation. It
wasn't an attempt at control, I called for moderation, which is a
request for whoever _is_ in control to make a judgement. You must be an
Internet newbie, as a call for moderation is entirely appropriate and
has a long history going back to USENET.

What I got was a response (obviously NOT from the moderator) which said
in meaning "Your observation doesn't matter, you're wrong to have such
feelings, so change the way you feel and STFU. People will talk about
what they want. Some of us don't have real lives, we desire humor and
social banter, and the only place we can get that is on technical
discussion lists."

If John Ackerman says it's fine to turn this list into
Facebook/Twitter, that's his call. But if so, I would suggest he change
the description from the current "time-nuts is a low volume, high SNR
list for the discussion of precise time and frequency measurement and
related topics," because that's not what it's going to be.