[time-nuts] 5 and 10 MHz crystal filters

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Nov 15 21:43:47 UTC 2010

A friendly warning about crystal filters.  Crystals, whether
used in an oscillator or filter, have intrinsic phase noise.
You cannot improve the phase noise of a crystal oscillator
with a crystal filter unless the filter crystals have lower
phase noise than the oscillator crystals.  In general, post
filtering of an oscillator is rarely done for the reasons
I mentioned.  One place where it made sense was in the HP
8662 with the 640 MHz output option where a 10811 is multiplied to 80
MHz and then filtered to reduce the noise floor.  It is further
multiplied to 640 MHz and filtered again by a SAW filter,
that was made at HP in those days.  As others have mentioned,
filter characteristic impedance is a function of the crystal
physics.  There is a specific impedance that you must use for
a given bandwidth.  Fortunately, it is easy to put transformers
at the ports to convert to 50 ohms.

Rick Karlquist
N6RK