[time-nuts] ext ref LNB Re: ADEV

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Tue Nov 16 13:16:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 06:20:55AM -0800, jimlux wrote:
> Mike Feher wrote:
> >10 MHz locked LNBs do not use a separate connector. Everything goes down/up
> >the single main coax. The typical L-band down-converted frequency and the
> >10
> >MHz are easily separated, as is the DC. These are definitely not
> >inexpensive. Regards - Mike
> >

> Ah.. but the question is really not whether the "new" price is cheap,
> but whether there's some reason why someone would be doing a massive
> refit, and dumping lots of these on the market surplus.

	FWIW, I have purchased C, US FSS Ku and Euro FSS Ku ER
LNBs on Ebay for well under $100 NOS in box with spec sheets.
Not yet seen Ka ones.   Did buy an X band.

	Sellers had a few (eg two or three), never seen large
quantities... but surplus ER LNBs command LOWER prices because of the need
for the external reference and so forth...

	You would, naturally enough need a feedhorn (these are mostly
WR90 for Ku)...

	Your pilot tone concept is interesting... I am not sure
how large your array might be and what issues would be involved
in distributing the pilot tone to it... nor exactly what the
noise spectrum (ADEV) of a cheapie DRO LNB might look like and
what would be required to generate the necessary LO phase estimates
from the pilot as translated by the unstable LO...

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in