[time-nuts] Do I have a defective thunderbolt?

ws at Yahoo warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 02:16:41 UTC 2010

geraldo
>Is this normal, or do I have a defective unit?

It is normal for a defaul Tbolt, with any (or all)  of the following:

MultiPath
a poor antenna,
a poor sky view,
a poor location survey
a poor elevation mask setting
a poor Sat Level setting
a poor TC setting
A poor Sat cable

ALL need to to be corrected to make it lots better.
Lady Heather has all the tools to find which ones are effecting you, But I could not see your plots.
If you want more information, post a LH log file and how/where I can view your plots.

Have fun
ws

ps damping should remain at about 1.0

***************************
[time-nuts] Do I have a defective thunderbolt?
Geraldo Lino de Campos geraldo at decampos.net
Wed Nov 17 16:21:20 UTC 2010

I have a thunderbolt acquired from TAPR. Almost every time the number of
satellites change, there is an abrupt change in the DAC voltage - as high as
1 mv, sometimes. See
www.decampos.net\LH\LH1<http://www.decampos.net/LH/LH1>.png
- a graph with time constant 200 and Damping 4. Using much higher values
improve the situation, as can be seen in
www.decampos.net\LH\LH2.png<http://www.decampos.net/LH/LH2.png>, time
constant 1000 and damping 100 (note the change in the DAC scale), but
the jumps are still present.

Is this normal, or I have a defective unit?

The antenna is located in a window, with several buildings nearby, so the
change in the number of satellites is frequent.
--
geraldo at decampos.net