[time-nuts] GPS jamming susceptibility

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 23 13:04:43 UTC 2010

On 23/11/10 13:36, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you are going to depend on any form of over the air timing, you need holdover. It's not a "option" its a requirement. There are simply to many things that can create issues with the signal you are using. That's true of any over the air system, not just GPS. Redundancy would also be nice, the people who design these systems don't seem to ever go that route.
>
> The nice part of that is - we get lots of Thunderbolts and Z380x's on the surplus market nice and cheap. Good stuff.

It varies among the operators. Some have their telecom hat on, and then
network redundancy is among the top things and they look at it
carefully. Then again others treat it as an alien aspect and their only
strategy is to make it as cheap and least annoying as possible. Ah well.

There are many ways to loose sync, real life teaches us...

Cheers,
Magnus