[time-nuts] GPS jamming susceptibility

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Nov 23 17:38:45 UTC 2010

Hi

The same basic equations apply (as you point out) to any receiver. Lay down
enough on channel noise power and the receiver doesn't have much of a
chance. Nothing magic or terribly hard to figure out. Easy to do wideband at
"I could use a baseball bat" to "I could use a bow and arrow" type ranges.

Because it's easy to do, it happens all the time. Fire up some hair dryers
at close range and they do a fine jamming job. Some of the jamming is
electrical, some of it is the fact you can't hear anything over the noise
they are making.

An axe (or good sling shot) is a fine way to take out a cell site and you
can get them just about anywhere. Jamming GPS isn't even going to make them
drop a call for at least a day or more. It won't make airplanes drop from
the sky either.

Taking out cell sites one at a time isn't a real big deal. It's a rare area
that's covered by only one site. They go in and out of service now and then,
it mostly goes un-noticed. If it is noticed, it's by a small number of
people. I have a nasty suspicion that sites that fail don't get fixed as
fast as they might for just those reasons.

The timing setups are indeed fragile. They could be improved quite a bit.
They aren't so fragile that they melt down immediately when a single fault
occurs. Lots of axes (or a big hurricane) are by far the more likely source
of full system failure.

Bob