[time-nuts] ok, newbie questions

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Nov 26 21:40:08 UTC 2010

Hi Eugene,

the extra channels usually come on more modern GPS receivers that also give
 you sometimes much higher sensitivity, much faster lock time, less 1PPS
jitter,  sometimes WAAS/SBAS capability, and last but not least more
redundancy and  better performance in environments with multipath.

Our FireFly units see 16 Sats and more typically at some  point during the
day. A couple of those sats are WAAS sats, and these don't  count for the
position fix. These modern GPS receivers use up to 2 Million  hardware
correlators to track the sats.

In short, more Sat channels usually means a higher performance  GPS
receiver is being used.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 11/26/2010 13:20:03 Pacific Standard Time, w2hx at w2hx.com